September 29, 2009

Week 38












~~Amanda

End of Week 38 Status:
Weight: 189 lbs.
Estimated Baby Size: A Mini Watermelon

Well, this is it! We are on the final stretch of pregnancy. With week 38 behind us, today marks 39 weeks and 5 days. Sebastian is due to arrive in two days and can basically show up at any point now.

I had an appointment today that was highly unpleasant. The doctor was not very gentle, and the procedure involved checking the effacement and dilation of my cervix. If it was any indication of what labor will feel like, I'm in for some serious pain! It will help having Andy there for support, however. They keep scheduling my appointments on days when he can't attend due to school, yet the doc thinks it will be my last appointment.

For whatever its worth, AND I'm NOT sure it is NOT just a bunch of useless information...I am 3cm dilated and 50% effaced. The doctor seemed to think this meant that Sebastian would likely show up before they threaten to induce me. I seriously abhor the idea of being induced, so when they told me they scheduled me for this unnatural and potentially harmful procedure for the 8th, I was understandably caught off guard. I hope the doctor is right, and that Sebastian starts things up on his own, so neither one of us must endure the horrors of Pitocin or a C-section. I can see myself begging for an epidural if I have to go through Pitocin...God and Andy help me!

My contractions are much more frequent now, although they are still quite sporadic. Here's hoping this is the last pregnant post I will write, and the next time you hear from me will be by way of birth announcement, phone call, or follow-up blogs in the future.

What an amazing journey it has been!

1 comment:

  1. Wow 3cm and 50% You are well on your way, Lady! Sounds like someone will be making their appearance very shortly! I pray you get to do this YOUR way....and get the L&D you want. If it goes the other way and you have to do an induction you will be ok then too. ((((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete